Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Grifters gotta grift

You may have heard of Joel Osteen, a Houston preacher with a really big congregation. And you may have heard that his church was recently the victim of a $600,000 theft. What you may not have noticed is that the stolen loot was the take from the collection at a single, ordinary church service.

Do the math. He's taking in more than $31 million a year. Just from the collection plate. Who knows what he gets from people who send in money after watching him on TV. I pity the fools who enrich this fraud. Well, a little bit anyway. That's the essence of religion - it's a con game. And it's a good one. Nobody ever comes back from the dead to tell the pigeons it's all a lie.

Here's what he told Piers Morgan about his obscene wealth:

"I don't ever feel guilty because it comes from – it's God's blessings on my life. And for me to apologize for God's – how God has blessed you, it's almost an insult to our God."

Well okay then. If I call him a thief and a liar, I'm insulting God, who after all made him a thief and a liar. Fine with me. I insult thee.

1 comment:

MissFifi said...

Ahhh the prosperity preachers. A serious group of people that would be under house arrest if they behaved like this in any other professions.
I am more concerned by those that follow them under the guise that "God will grant them riches". One must be a shyster and slanderer like their "leaders of God" to do so no? Religion can be so twisted and make some so damn blind.