Map of life expectancy at birth from Global Education Project.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Why is marijuana illegal . . .

in most states, while chewing tobacco is not?

Tony Gwynn wasn't just a hall of fame baseball player, he was universally regarded as a really nice guy. He repeatedly eschewed the chance to make bigger bucks in order to stay with the Padres for his entire career. As baseball coach at San Diego State, his alma mater. A hometown guy who cared less about getting rich than he did about his community. Also, he leaves a wife and two kids. He was 54 years old.

And yes, it was cancer that started in his cheek, caused by tobacco. The people who market that stuff are murderers. The wrong guy died.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chewing tobacco as a young adult was probably the dumbest thing I've ever done. I still wonder what my in-laws must have thought of me when we first met.

Marijuana, on the other hand, has been a near life long pleasure. Surprisingly, I've been at least moderately successful despite its reported tendency to alter my brain and negatively impact my motivation and ambition.